Do you want to convert an image from one format to another? Like PNG to JPG or vice versa? Or maybe even convert an image to a PDF?
Whether it’s for performance, quality, or another reason, you’ll often run into scenarios where you need to change an image’s format.
In this post, we’ll share six great convert image tools that make it easy to quickly convert an image from one format to another (or even bulk convert images if needed).
Six best tools to convert image to another format
Now that we’ve discussed why you might like to convert an image format, let’s look at six excellent alternatives. They all offer somewhat similar features, so the one that’s the best fit for you will depend on the number of images you need to convert regularly.
- Online Convert
Convertio offers a fast and convenient way to convert images from one file type to another in one single workflow. Being a cloud-based solution, there’s no load on your server. You can do the entire conversion online using drag and drop, and then simply download the converted file. For heavy workloads, you can also download the app to your device.
- Converts from: JPEG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, and numerous other image formats
- Converts to: Hundreds of different image formats
- Type: Online cloud-based tool. Or, use a Chrome browser extension.
- Free option: Yes – anyone can convert images up to 100MB file size for free. There’s a cap of 2 concurrent conversions and 10 files per 24 hours
- Paid plans: Start from $9.99/mo. (Light) and supports file sizes up to 500MB. Higher packages are available at $14.99/mo. and $25.99/mo., where file size increases to 1GB and unlimited, respectively. All paying customers get unlimited conversion minutes per day.
- Batch processing: Yes – 25 and 50 concurrent conversions on lower plans, no limit in the highest plan.
Other features: The tool picks up files for conversion from your device, Dropbox, Google Drive, or a URL. Files are stored securely for 24 hours only. On a side note, their OCR tool (Optical Character Recognition) for converting any scanned documents into editable Word, PDF, or Txt doc may also interest you.
As the name tells you, this is another cloud-based tool to convert images. Without downloading or installing any software, it allows you to convert images, audio, videos, documents, spreadsheets, or eBooks. You can pull images from your device, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or by URL. There’s no limit on file size uploads.
- Converts from: JPG, PNG, GIF, WebP, HEIC, etc.
- Converts to: Many formats including JPG, PNG, etc. Supports 200+ file formats
- Type: Online cloud-based tool
- Free option: Yes – free up to 25 conversions per day
- Paid plans: Option to purchase conversion minutes or monthly subscriptions. You can start as low as 500 conversion minutes at $8 and use them up over any length of time. The subscription model gives you fixed conversion minutes every month and starts at $8/mo. for 1,000 conversion minutes.
- Batch processing: Yes – unlimited concurrent conversions in both payment models
Other features: You can adjust most conversion types according to your needs, such as setting the quality, file size, and many other options. The API allows custom integrations, including full Amazon S3 integration – you’ll be able to capture websites, create archives, and merge files.
Mac users – this one is for you, a nifty tool to totally simplify batch image editing. It can handle a lot, from compressing and optimizing images to renaming them and adding a watermark. In fact, you can add multiple watermarks that can be text, image, timestamp, or script.
- Converts from: JPG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, and HEIC
- Converts to: JPG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, and HEIC
- Type: Desktop app for Mac and Windows (though the Mac version is a lot more popular)
- Free option: No – while there is a limited demo version, you need the paid version for image conversion.
- Paid plans: $9.99 for Mac or $19.99 for Windows
- Batch processing: Yes – convert hundreds and thousands of images in one click
Other features: Besides adding multiple watermarks of different types, it’s great for batch processing allowing you to save your settings for even faster batch processing. Moreover, you can select which metadata will be included in the edited images.
Tinybeest is yet another image conversion tool for Mac users. If you’re looking for a reliable alternative to optimize and convert images with a focus on site speed and SEO, Tinybeest can work for you. It compresses, resizes, and converts images into formats best suited for the web, ensuring quick load times. It supports many file formats including TIFF, SVG, and PDF and offers page image audits.
- Converts from: JPG, PNG, GIF, WebP
- Converts to: JPG, PNG, WebP, etc.
- Type: Chrome extension as well as a desktop app for Mac. The desktop app supports additional image formats and helps to bulk optimize images and adjust image quality
- Free option: Yes – the Chrome extension is free and you can use it to resize and optimize images. However, to convert images, you’ll need to pay a subscription. The Mac app is free to try for the first 50 images.
- Paid plans: $1.99/mo. Upgrading to Pro allows you to convert images to different file formats (like PNG, JPG, and Google WebP), and use image auditing and bulk photo downloading capabilities. Built-in on-page SEO audit and analysis is also a pro feature
- Batch processing: Yes – using the desktop app, you can process images in bulk (including converting file formats)
Other features: Tinybeest extension quickly optimizes images for SEO, web design productivity, and site speed performance with a click on an image in your browser, Using the desktop app, you can bulk compress and resize photos, and process large PDFs and SVGs, all from a single user-friendly UI.
Online Convert is a fine tool to quickly convert images online without downloading any software. You can apply effects or enhance images during the conversion process. All you need to do is select the appropriate filters while uploading the image. Image conversion happens almost instantly and you can download the converted file to a convenient location.
- Converts from: JPG, PNG, HEIC, PDF, XLS, DOC, WebP, SVG, TIFF, and more
- Converts to: JPG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, WebP, BMP, EPS, HDR, and TGA
- Type: A completely online tool with a Chrome extension as well as a Firefox add-on
- Free option: Yes – free for 20 conversions in 24 hours, but there’s a limit on concurrent conversions (4)
- Paid plans: You can subscribe for just 24 hours and pay a fee according to file size ($7.99 for 1GB, 50 conversions, and 8 concurrent conversions). Monthly subscription at $7 and annual subscription at $67 for file sizes up to 200MB per conversion. Rates increase based on the size of the files.
- Batch processing: Up to ten concurrent conversions
Other features: Developers gain API access up to 30 conversion minutes/day while doing automated conversions, image scaling, watermarks, etc. The website offers other conversion tools as well for audios, documents, videos, eBooks, software, and hash encryption.
Our last tool is a downright simple tool that converts any major image format into a highly compressed JPEG image. This can be your go-to tool if all that you need is to quickly convert an image into JPEG without any hassle.
- Converts from: JPG, PNG, GIF, SVG, BMP, EPS, PSD, TIFF and WEBP
- Converts to: JPEG
- Type: Online tool
- Free option: Yes – totally free
- Paid plans: N/A
- Batch processing: Yes – you can upload multiple files at the same time
Other features: This tool is intentionally kept simple with few additional features to enable quick conversion via a friendly online interface. All you have to do is drag the image(s) into the drop space. A few seconds later, you can download the compressed JPEG file(s) to your computer.