VeraCrypt is a software for establishing and maintaining an on-the-fly-encrypted volume (data storage device). No data stored on an encrypted volume can be read (decrypted) without using the correct password/key file(s) or correct encryption keys. Entire file system is encrypted (e.g., file names, folder names, contents of every file, free space, meta data, etc).
You can download Veracrypt from here according to your host platforms. Encryption is the best way to ensure attackers can’t read your files. It scrambles your files into random-looking gibberish and you need a secret key to access them. Even if someone gains access to your physical hard drive, they’ll need your password (or key file) to actually see what you have on the drive. Veracrypt is not complicated for use. After setting it up, you just have to enter your encryption password each time you boot your PC. It handles the encryption in the background. It is a project based on the source code of the old TrueCrypt software.
- Once it is installed, open your Start menu and launch the “VeraCrypt” shortcut.
- Click System > Encrypt System Partition/Drive in the software window to get started.
- You’ll be asked whether you want to use Normal or Hidden system encryption.
- The Normal option encrypts the system partition or drives normally.
- The Hidden option creates an operating system in a hidden VeraCrypt volume. You’ll have both a real operating system, which is hidden and a decoy operating system.
- When you boot your PC, you can enter the real password to boot your hidden operating system.
- In terms of encryption, using Normal encryption keeps your files just as secure. A Hidden volume only helps if you’re forced to disclose your password to someone and want to maintain plausible deniability about the existence of any other files.
- If the Windows system partition is the only partition on the drive, the options will be basically the same. If you just want to encrypt your Windows system partition and leave the rest of the drive alone, choose “Encrypt the Windows system partition”.
- The wizard recommends choosing a password of 20 more characters. You can enter a password of up to 64 characters.